LIVING HERE, IS LIVING AS IT SHOULD BE!
Tiaki Rise is an exciting opportunity to secure your future in a neighbourhood that already caters for the broader community. The Denby Golf Course, the Whangarei Falls, Daycares, Kindergartens, Primary, Intermediate and Secondary Schools, the Countdown Supermarket, Cafés and restaurants, the Paramount Plaza and sports grounds are only some of amenities located close to Tiaki Rise. All of this and the Whangarei CBD is only a 12 minute (approx.) drive.
The area maintains an idyllic country feel and there is still that true sense of adventure for children growing up in the area with swimming holes and waterfalls only minutes away.
Living here is, is living as it should be!
TIAKI - (verb) (-na) to guard, keep.(noun) look after, protect, safeguard.
The name Tiaki Rise is derived from the lands history of providing care and protection, especially for youth.
In the 1920's, the local community, along with a grant from the Potter Family, set up a Trust called "The North Auckland Protestant Orphanage Trust". In 1939, a 6 bedroom building was erected and was used until 2013 as a Home for children in need of care. For various reasons, the Home was closed in 2013, and since then has been used in an informal manner to support families and children in need.
To continue the original objectives of the Trust, the Board leased 2 hectares of land to Te Ora Hou Northland. Te Ora Hou have now purchased this land and continue to work with young people on the site. They have recently developed a community hub on the land that will benefit the community by becoming a place for recreation and a place to meet.
The Board also transferred an area of 4,000m2 at the corner of Corks Road and Vinegar Hill Road to the Whangarei District Council for the development of a childrens' park.
The remaining land holdings were offered to EB Developments Ltd in 2017 with the proceeds being used to assist organisations carrying out the objectives of the Trust.
TIMELINE OF EVENTS
May 1925 – Whangarei Protestant Orphanage was established and the 10ha site was acquired
March 1936 – Name was changed to “The North Auckland Protestant Orphanage” and the purpose of the Trust was recorded as “for the benefit of orphans and destitute children who must be brought up in the Protestant Faith”.
The name was later changed to “Tikipunga Protestant Children’s Home”.
1939 – Mr and Mrs Frederick Seymour Potter and the local authority donated funding to build the orphanages dwelling house. The Potters thereafter invested £10,000 to enable the Home to have an income.
The Home was officially closed in January 2013.
Recently the Home and approx. 2ha of the surrounding land has been leased to the Te Ora Hou Northland Inc that provides programmes and assistance for children and young people.